P3 features a unique infrastructure that includes the following:
- Up to 5 synchronized laser beams (initially ~ps; later ~fs level)
- High repetition rate lasers (10 Hz and 1 Hz)
- High intensity (10 PW) as well as high energy (kJ) operation
- A large versatile vacuum chamber (~45 m3)
- A pulsed power device for magnetic field generation (>50 Tesla)
- A Betatron for diagnostic purposes
- A plasma mirror chamber for contrast enhancement
- An optical switchyard and manipulation station (MOB) including delay lines, frequency conversion, leakage optics for pulse characterization, adaptive optics, etc.
P3 is oriented towards fundamental research applications that do not involve any predefined secondary sources. This chamber accommodates the ELI lasers L2, L3, and L4. L4 is provided with a flexible energy partition between L4n (nanosecond-scale), L4f (femtosecond-scale), and L4p (picosecond-scale).