On-line tumor imaging
- Real time evaluation and adaption of treatment
- Pulsed treatment increases accuracy of dosage
- Precise control over treatment area
- Synchronization of imaging and radiation source to within tens of milliseconds
Laser plasma technology
- Compact laser electron acceleration
- Up to 100 mGy per dosage pulse
- Electron beam energy up to 200 MeV
- Operation modes: single pulse or 10 Hz
- Field Size 1 cm x 1 cm
- Dose rate 1 Gy/s
- Dmax 15 cm
- Imaging time window 10 ms
How does it work?
This technology supports a new radiotherapy machine that offers the highest dose rate available on the market. Due to ultra-fast laser technology, a synchronized x-ray system can perform imaging of the tumor during the irradiation within a time window short enough to evaluate and adapt treatment.
This technology is patented and protected in the EU and the US. The ELI Beamlines research team is working on a prototype.
Download here: High dose per pulse radiotherapy with real time imaging